Monday, April 16, 2012

04/16/12

Hello everyone,
I know I should have a better attitude about writing this email.  I have SO much support back home and so many people who sacrifice for me.  So I will try to write them for the rest of my mission, but its not easy. President Monson talked about in priesthood session of general conference how when he was a bishop the first presidency of the church committed all the bishops too write to all the members of their wards who were serving in the armed forces MONTHLY!  I can't write a letter to save my life and he wrote 26 letters every month!  So you will be happy to know I wrote three letters this morning.  I think the letter from Mishon helped me have a desire to write because she asked if we were still friends or if I was alive.  Hahahahah. YES, Mishon your letter was one of the three I wrote this morning and duh....we are still friends!  So letters will slowly come.  The Van Sickle's are coming here on the 27th of this month and I will send my letters with them and they will post them from PE.  So it will take a while.
DANG Katee's last email was so blasted long. she always seems to show me up some how. hahaha. Anyways this week was great.  It was a little slow in the work department.  We had General Conference which was AWESOME!  Then interviews with President Wood and a morning of training.  So it was nice. My interview went as it always does short and sweet and nothing much to discuss.  It was a great interview and its always great to be with President Wood.  He is really awesome.
So mom said I haven't told enough about where I am.  So here we go.  I work about a 30 min drive from where I live.  I work in the Mdantsane township.  It is great, my area covers NU (native unit) 15,16 and 18. It also covers Mbekwene unit P and a small university separated from the rest of the area.  No there is no student ward. ha ha ha Mdantsane is a huge town ship that has 3 wards and 2 church buildings.  The members are great and the ward functions great which is a bit of a change.  When the church is in new areas it seams to struggle.  Mdantsane is know for success when it comes to baptisms, however the stake presidency really does not want baptisms.  Really in most the missions our focus is not baptism any more.  It is real growth.  Which means a whole lot of reactivation and retaining new members.  For us we only baptize those who truly understand the covenant they are making.  Less activity is so dangerous.  It would be better for them if they don't make the covenant at all then go less active later. (2nephi 31;14) there are even missionaries here who have been assigned to do less active work and only baptize if they find someone through a part member or less active family.
In this area we have been doing lots of service.  Like painting houses, or yard work.  I like doing the gardens because it helps members and others be self reliant.  Our area is safe mom.  Or at least safe as any.  The people are awesome.  They will almost always let us in and all have a deep desire to follow the savior.
We drive alot because of the size of our area.  We drive a blue Chevy Aveo. (my word mom this is detailed....and boring) hahaha General Conference was awesome!!!!  I loved when President Monsoon spoke on 1 Nephi 3:7.  I love that verse.  It is when the lord commands Nephi to go back to Jerusalem and get the plates.  It wasn't only a dangerous task, but it was hard because they had already walked so far from Jerusalem because the lord had commanded them to leave.  Nephi's brothers complained saying It was a hard thing to do.  Nephi said " I will go and do the things which the lord has commanded for I know the lord giveth no commandments to the children of men save he shall prepare a way for them".  I know whatever the lord asks us to do, we will be able to accomplish it.  Whether it be something specific to us or a general commandment, it is possible.  I have felt the lords help in things that are hard to accomplish.  I know he helps us!
I will talk more about specific people were teaching next time.  I hope every one had a great week.  Love you all and thanks for the love and support given to me each week.  I really appreciate it.  Happy Birthday this week to ADAM!!!!!   I hope your day is great.
 
Love,
Colton

No comments:

Post a Comment